Monday, October 10, 2011

Getting Around Town

Getting around San Antonio is a lot different than getting around Stavanger, my hometown. In Norway, the public transport is very good and my main way of getting to and from places. In San Antonio, it is significantly harder getting around when you don't have a car. Even walking across the street can be a challenge.

This can be a struggle when I need to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a few college student necessities. Therefore, it is very beneficial to get a friend with a car. I have such a friend and his name is Travis. Now, I do not abuse my privilege: I only ask that I may come along next time he goes to Wal-Mart. This creates the allusion that I am friends with him because I like him, not because he has a car.

© All Rights Reserved

I have a 30 year-old friend in Norway who doesn't have her license and it hasn't been an issue for her. Trains and buses make it simple to get around Norway, as well as trams, without needing a car. I always get a 30 day bus pass when I go back home and it costs 300 kr. or a little more than $50 which is good in Norway, but expensive for the States. This allows me to go on the bus, train, and boat for as much as I want for 30 days and nights which is a pretty good deal. I suggest this the US follows Norway's example.

No comments:

Post a Comment